Kevin has managed sizable and diverse project portfolios ($100M+) involving multiple stakeholders and vendors, providing leadership over the development of business strategies and architectures through to the design, development, and implementation of new and improved business and IT capabilities across healthcare and other industries. His other areas of expertise include electronic grants management, financial management, budgeting, federal enterprise architecture, e-commerce, and web development. Kevin has a strong drive for organizational effectiveness and innovation with a track record of engineering transformative yet practical technology and business solutions that position customers to successfully address their current and anticipated business challenges.
- Bachelor of Science in Economics with concentration in Strategic Management, University of Pennsylvania
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, University of Pennsylvania
Healthcare Advisory Services
Led the delivery of strategic and management consulting services to multiple health plans.
- Supported a National Behavioral Health Plan in analyzing current provider management systems (prospecting, recruiting, credentialing, contracting, data analysis, etc.) to determine readiness for new value-based contracting and network performance improvement strategies core to the Plan’s overall corporate strategies. Resulted in a strategic roadmap and high level implementation plan for a new provider model office initiative to modernize network management systems and processes.
- Provided strategic analysis, planning, acquisition, and implementation services for a large federal employee plan’s program for engaging members in a variety of web-based health and wellness tools and services provided by numerous best-in-class vendors. The engagement, which also included program management, process improvement, business requirements, business readiness, and IT coordination services, resulted in a successful integration of vendor offerings and the registration of over one million members in a two year period.
Healthcare Reform and Health Benefit Exchange
Responsible for planning and building a State-Based Exchange under the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Oversaw the procurement and implementation of technology to support the creation of a new online health insurance marketplace intended to be the access point to affordable coverage and medical assistance for over one million covered lives.
- Developed business and technology strategy for the Small Business Health Options Plan (SHOP) with emphasis on maximizing employer participation through the use of brokers, agents, and administrators.
- Founded and co-chaired the Exchange Implementation Advisory Committee (EIAC), a consulting body to the Exchange including CEOs and other top executives from Health Insurers, Medicaid Managed Care Organizations, Third Party Benefit Administrators, and Consumer Advocacy groups.
- Provided leadership in securing and administering over $150M in IT federal grant funding from CMS for the development of a State-Based Exchange.
- Provided leadership for partner data exchnges with insurance carriers, feeral partners, and other stakehodlers using secure and standard electronic data interchange.
- Led the creation of a new State agency encompassing strategic planning, staffing, operations, and technology enablement.
Led efforts for a large mid-Atlantic health care carrier to develop business and technology solutions that achieved compliance with all federal, state, and local Healthcare related mandates in alignment with strategic initiatives and operational goals.
- Successfully led the transformation of product portfolio, operational processes, and supporting technologies to achieve compliance with the early provisions of the Federal Health Reform law, including enriched benefit designs and appeals rights, expanded dependent coverage rules, grandfather plan administration, and new data and reporting requirements.
- Developed a framework for analyzing the impact of Health Reform across all divisions of the company and for developing a strategy to implement required business and technical changes in response to industry-changing events such as the advent of state-based Health Insurance Exchanges.
- Provided routine updates to the CEO and Board of Directors as well as external constituents (brokers, employer accounts, industry groups, regulators, etc) on Health Reform implementation efforts.
- Served as representative in numerous forums and conferences as a featured speaker (e.g. American Health Insurance Plans Fall 2011 conference) or advisory committee member (Maryland Exchange Market Rules Committee).
New Business Solutions and Shared Services
Responsible for providing internal consulting, developing new business and technology solutions, and transforming workforce and processes of an insurance carrier to achieve key strategic and compliance objectives in a changing Healthcare and IT landscape.
- Led the creation of a strategic roadmap for web portal modernization efforts, concurrently managing the first phases of the implementation which brought new online capabilities to members, brokers, employers, and providers.
- Reengineered policies and processes for mandate implementation to strengthen compliance posture as well as successfully leading the implementation of new federal, state, and BlueCross BlueShield Association mandates.
- Led efforts to build and mature structures and processes for cross-functional collaboration, implementation, planning, governance, and performance measurement through IT-business engagement and organizational change management initiatives.
Responsible for improving the effectiveness of Corporate IT and Shared Services in supporting key business objectives through technology and process change, and defining and implementing a long-term corporate strategy.
- Served as senior IT liaison with the Sales and Marketing departments for planning and executing key market initiatives related to brokers, employers, and direct to consumer product and service offerings, including new online Web tools.
- Provided executive management over back-office systems maintenance and upgrades including Oracle Financials, PeopleSoft HR, and other custom and COTS products and technologies.
- Supported the CIO in planning the implementation of a multi-million dollar IT infrastructure transformation.
- Supervised several high visibility special projects involving trading partner / vendor relations, commitments to the Maryland Insurance Administration, and other efforts requiring executive-level IT direction and support.
Public Sector and Consulting
Responsible for managing multiple client account relationships, leading an organization of 50 technology and management consulting professionals in delivering solutions to Federal agency customers.
- Operated a successful and growing P&L center within Civilian Agencies group.
- Built a market-leading Grants Management solutions group focused on providing consulting and large program management support to Federal Civilian Agencies.
- Served as program executive for multiple concurrent projects at the National Science Foundation (NSF) in both the mission and administrative business areas (including oversight of 100 employees, sub-contractors, and partner company staff with a combined budget of $25M a year).
- Provided thought leadership in transitioning to the next generation software architecture at NSF, including providing guidance on IT capital investments, designing and implementing an enterprise service oriented architecture, developing an interim architecture sequencing plan, and setting direction for improved software development life cycle (SDLC) processes.
- Delivered new business solutions to the Department of Commerce (DoC) and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), where company provided key expertise for a $15M COTS Grants Systems implementation effort.
- Built and managed strategic and tactical relationships with hardware / software vendors, small business, and large business partners in support of Federal software implementation projects.
Responsible for developing new business and serving as program manager for multiple client engagements in the Federal Civilian space.
- Served as program manager at NSF with oversight responsibilities for multiple high-visibility client/server and web based projects in the mission grants business area as well as back-office administrative systems (e.g. financial accounting, payroll, HR).
- Served as account executive on a $6M multi-year contract at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to build the Grants Online system, NOAA’s first enterprise grants management system, which eventually replaced 12 legacy grants management systems across NOAA’s 47 program offices and was responsible for order of magnitude improvements and business efficiency.
- Served as program manager for IT engagements at NASA, including the NASA’s legacy budget formulation system and the Agency’s award-winning web-based e-Budget system.
Responsible for growing consulting business at NSF while delivering high quality software and IT strategy deliverables.
- Facilitated and provided the evaluation methodology for NSF’s next generation software and data architecture.
- Managed the development and maintenance efforts for the majority of NSF’s web-based and legacy client/server mission grants applications including the leading NSF electronic business system with grantees, FastLane.
- Managed the conversion of NSF’s mainframe financial accounting system (FAS) to the client/server environment, which subsequently earned NSF the first recorded “Green” for Financial Management on the OMB President’s Management Agenda scorecard.
Responsible for leading the development of innovative Relational Database and Windows-based software solutions for multiple Federal, State and Local clients.
- Served as technical lead for the conversion of NSF’s grants proposal and reviewer systems (PARS) from the mainframe environment to the client /server environment.
- Served as technical lead for the development of MS-Windows based Condition Assessment Information System (CAIS) for the US Department of Energy, which was also utilized by the District of Columbia and NASA for physical inspections of mission critical facilities and leveraged the earliest versions of hand-held mobile computing devices.
- Maintained and built enhancements to the original Oracle-based CAIS application; provided direct client support on technical issues as well as training and documentation.
Management, Systems, and Technology
Responsible for leading and participating on multiple consulting engagements as technical lead, programmer, functional analyst, and QA support.
- Developed the Internal Revenue Service’s (IRS’s) enterprise Budget Formulation and Financial Plan Development systems (BFS and PDS) using UNIX and Oracle RDBMS technologies.
- Served as software maintenance lead for a Government relocation management system utilized by the IRS and the U.S. Customs Service.
- Authored a Windows GUI-development guide for a large commercial client.
- Developed baseline test data and test plan for the General Services Administration’s (GSA’s) Foundation Information for Real Property System (FIRM).