Fashion Institute of Technology graduates capture global stage with stunning brand collections on first ever mobile app
Committed to research, innovation, and entrepreneurship, the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), wanted to do something new and creative to present graduating fashion design students’ best designs at the annual Future of Fashion show.
How We Helped:
IT’S ALL ABOUT THE STUDENTS
As the show’s first technology sponsor, Optimity Advisors recommended a digital experience to embody the energy and spirit of the FIT Future of Fashion live show and graduating students.
Optimity worked closely with FIT leadership and students to develop the first-of-its-kind Future of Fashion mobile app. In building the app, Optimity utilized OutSystems' low-code platform, demonstrating innovation in harnessing cutting edge-technology to support the highly accelerated timeline for the app build and delivery. OutSystem's platform provided critical development advantages, such as:
- Easy-to-learn platform, reducing the barrier for end-user entry
- Minimal need for expensive, senior-level development expertise
- Greatly increased speed-to-market, reducing typical app development time by 50 percent
- Quick and easy development of complete desired feature set for the app
Once deployed, the student designers and their garments served as the app's core, providing functionality that enabled graduates to make connections with industry professionals through the app and enter the professional fashion world with features that included:
- Designer profiles highlighting each student’s story and their collection of garments
- Image carousel featuring the garments in run of show order
- Judge and critics’ profiles
- Voting for individual garments
- Connect functionality for future employers to engage with designers
- Saved video of the live experience
"In today's digitally driven world, a successful fashion designer needs to have a digital extension of their brand," says Holly Boerner, senior manager at Optimity Advisors. "A mobile app like the one we've developed for the Future of Fashion event allows each of the student designers to have branding opportunities through a smart, digital content strategy and effective content distribution."
“We are extremely pleased to partner with Optimity Advisors to offer a new layer of professional outreach and branding to the talented fashion designers graduating from FIT,” says Joanne Arbuckle, deputy to the President for Industry Partnerships and Collaborative Programs at FIT. “This app will help send them on their way as they launch their careers.”
- The FIT mobile app debuted at the Future of Fashion runway show, an annual presentation by the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) in New York City on May 8, 2017.
- An updated mobile app will again be featured at the FIT Future of Fashion runway show in New York City on May 3, 2018.
- The app is available in both the Apple and Google Play app stores.